Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Steven's Birthday

Last Friday, February 17, was Steven's birthday. Neither one of us are really into making a big deal out of birthdays, so we just had a low-key evening with friends.

We (along with every other person in WF) decided to go try the new Mexican restaurant, El Fenix, which just opened up a week or so ago. Not the best idea on a Friday night, but hey, we live dangerously. Our friends the Merrills, Coopers, and Egberts joined us, and we even made some new friends that night as well. While we were waiting for our table, the boys were in the bar getting some drinks when they ran into a guy that just started his training here. Turns out, the Hales were also stationed in Charleston before they moved here recently (Megan and I discussed our love for Charleston at length... I assured her that she would survive here in WF, but it just wouldn't compare to Charleston). So, we made some room at our table and they joined us too.


And of course, we couldn't let Steven get out of a Mexican restaurant on his birthday without wearing a sombrero and being humiliated :) Happy Birthday Ponchito!


After we ate, we went back to the house for some cake. Here's the deal with the cake: Every year, when I ask Steven what kind of birthday cake he wants, he always says "Strawberry".... Random. Apparently, about 15 years ago, the people he worked for got a him this magnificent strawberry cake from Pouparts, a legendary bakery back in Lafayette. All I have heard about is how absolutely amazing that cake was. Being the baker that I am and with my tiny little competitive streak, I have set out to beat that darn Pouparts cake. So, I literally spent alllllllllll day Friday working on this stinking cake, and still, it didn't win. Oh well. There's always next year.



It was a strawbery cake with stawberry filling. The icing was really light, almost like whipped cream. Every one thought it was good, but I still didn't beat Pouparts.

The birthday boy. Isn't he cute?

35 + 1
I had contemplated buying candles for his cake while I was in the store the day before, but I don't even want to say how many PACKAGES I would have had to buy to have enough.... Not to mention, it would have been visible from space. Well, Steven was a little upset that I didn't have candles, so I found the ones from last year, and added a tealight.... Which made 35 +1.... Get it???


He really should be thankful that I didn't put allllll the candles on there... I had a hard enough time with 28, I can't even imagine 36!


We had a great evening celebrating with good friends. We all laughed and laughed at absolutely nothing until about 1:00 a.m. And Steve is coping with the fact that he is now on the downhill slope to 40.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment