Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Lizard Hunter



Before we left for vacation, we were dealing with an invasion in our house. And of course, we were invaded with the creatures that I probably hate most: lizards. Not just regular lizards, super tiny, baby lizards. They were literally the size of a bobby pin.

To say that the lizards wigged me out is an understatement. I am deathly afraid of lizards. I have no idea why. They are just plain creepy. I once stood on a chair for over an hour calling every pest removal service in the county, all while my cookies that I was baking to send overseas to Steven were burning in the oven (I consider it a mortal sin to burn cookies, so you can understand my shame). Of course, all of the pest control places told me that they "do not do lizards" while laughing under their breath at me. Whatever.

So, to have the creepy little things running all over the house really did a number on me. We were finding 5-6 a day. Steven, my Lizard-Slaying husband, would hear my screech, and come to my rescue. With a good WHAP, that lizard got what was coming to him for invading General Broussard's house.

Some times, the lizards would just run out in front of me, but most often, we knew we had one because Jack would corner it and refuse to leave that spot until Steven got it. Watching him hunt them down was kind of hilarious. When he would find one, he acted like a hunting dog "pointing" his prey.




On a mission


While we were on vacation, all I could think about was the big lizard party going on in our house. Steven and I figured that Jack would stay busy cornering them. We came home, and I expected the infestation to still be in full swing. However, we quickly realized that the lizards had moved on. We didn't think much of it until one evening when Jack went on the prowl.



We had put Caroline to bed and Steven and I were posted up in our chairs in the living room, enjoying our nightly boring ritual of watching tv and playing on our computers (we live on the wild side). Jack was in the dining room/kitchen playing with something, but we couldn't figure out what he was doing. Steven finally got up and went to see what he was up to. He had found a lizard, and instead of just cornering it, he had smooshed it. Steven took care of it, we chuckled, and continued about our business. A few minutes later, we heard him doing the same thing. Steven went to investigate and this time, he found Jack eating the lizard!


While we were on vacation, we hired a pet sitter to take care of the boys, and a couple of our friends also helped out. Everyone commented that Jack hadn't eaten much since we had been gone. That wasn't unusual since Jack usually goes on a hunger strike when we leave. However, after seeing what he did to that little lizard, we figured he wasn't eating his food because he was eating lizards the entire time. Gross! But I actually kind of love it. This brings a whole new meaning to the term "guard dog".



Now, when I go back into the kitchen late at night (which is when I often see them), I always take Jack with me so he can sweep the area first and protect me. I will say though, we have not had a lizard sighting in several days now, so Jack is doing his job.

Come out, come out wherever you are....

I am so glad I have my lizard slaying husband and dog to protect me! What would I do without them???

No comments:

Post a Comment