Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vacation-Part 1

Hello world! After a long break, I am finnnnallllyyyy back. We returned from our whirlwind of a vacation last Wednesday, but after all of the unpacking and settling back in, I am just now getting around to posting about our trip. I'll admit, I have also been somewhat dreading the daunting task of posting this trip because it is going to be a novel. So, that is why I am going to break our trip up into 4 posts. Mainly to save my sanity, but also keeping the sanity of my lovely readers in mind :)

We blasted out of Wichita Falls on Friday (July 29) around 11:20 p.m. We fed Caroline her last feeding, put her in her carseat and hoped for the best. We made the journey to Lafayette and arrived a little after 7:00 the next morning. Caroline actually did great. She woke up once when we stopped for gas around 4:00 a.m., but I rigged her up a bottle, she ate a little, and she went right back to sleep. When we finally arrived in Lafayette, Pops practically ran out the door like his hair was on fire, grabbed the carseat (with Caroline in it), and took off back inside, all with barely a word in our direction. Steven and I just stood there in the driveway looking at each other. We see where we stand now :) Sugar had fixed a big breakfast for us, so we ate and went and caught a couple hours of sleep while Pops and Sugar took care of Caroline. Glorious.

We pretty much just lounged around the house the rest of the day. Caroline was eating up all of the attention from Sugar and Pops. Steven and I got ready and went out to our FIRST dinner sans baby. I'll admit, it was weird... We didn't even know how to act. We kept marveling at the fact that the other diners might look at us and think that we were just a "normal" couple. I guess in our eyes, "normal" now means "without children".

Anywhoo, we enjoyed an awesome seafood dinner at Don's there in Lafayette. Steven ordered the fried alligator (duh... I mean we were in the land of Swamp people... watch that show and you will understand a lot more about my crazy Cajun husband) and I had the fried oysters (don't judge... we were on vacation). Can I say how AMAZING it was to have fresh, albeit, fried seafood??? That is one of the things that I have missed most here in dry, hot, water barren, hot, dusty, dry, hot Wichita Falls.

After dinner, we headed to a little bar called The Wild Salmon to hear Steven's nephew's band, Pretty Price and the Shack Rockers, play. Pauly, said nephew, is awesome on the guitar. He has been playing in this band for a little while now, and we were so excited to go hear them play. All I have to say is..... WOW! They were phenomenal. I'm no music guru, but they really were outstanding. They play a little bit of everything from Elvis, to the Stones, oldies, and even a little disco. You can sing along to every song, which of course, I love (only when in places loud enough that others will not hear me). I will not be surprised at all when very soon, they are playing in New Orleans. Yeah, they are that good.



Pretty Price and the Shack Rockers
The lead singer, Jared, is the one in the middle. He is so good. He may be a big guy, but don't let that fool ya. The boy can move. And he can sing like no other. Pauly is to the left of Jared.

Pauly
This kid is absolutely amazing. For what he has been through, (liver and kidney transplant when he was just a wee babe), he has such an amazing attitude and heart. He is going to school at UL right now, but the band is his passion. It makes Steven and I SO proud to see him doing something he truly loves.



This is Jesse. Not only does he play the keyboard, but he also plays the sax. Not only does he play the sax, but he plays 2 saxophones AT THE SAME TIME!!!! I can't even play one saxophone...



Steven and I with the man, Pauly, after the show


One of Steven's biggest wishes has always been to have his Granny (on his mom's side; his only living grandparent) hold/see his baby. Granny is 93 years old and is living in a nursing home in Abbeville. Unfortunately, she is no longer the vibrant Granny Steven remembers. Old age can be so cruel. Never the less, we still took Caroline to see Granny on Sunday.



This little lady had 8 children of her own and has somewhere around 44 grandchildren, approximately 48 great grandchildren, and about 5 great-great grandchildren (sorry for the estimates-I asked Steven here next to me and you know how men are with details). Needless to say, this woman has rocked and bounced more babies than I can count.



I never knew the Granny that Steven talks about, but I would love to have known her. She sounds like such a neat little lady. And tough. You would have to be to have 8 kids.... Without the miracles of modern medicine.

After the visit to Granny's, we headed back to Sugar and Pops' house to rest up and get ready for the next leg of our trip the next morning.





Caroline played...




And I played with Caroline. I know, cheesy pic, but how could I resist with that adorable little smile??? You know I am a sucker for that smile because I posted a picture of my side profile, which I loathe.




Well, that does it for Part 1. Check back soon for the next thrilling installments of the Broussard Family Vacation. And this time I promise it wont' take me 3,000 years to make the next post :) Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment