Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Finding her voice...

Back in my college days, my friends would always tease me that not only would I have children (up until about 3 years ago, I swore I wouldn't... and I meant it... funny how things change:), but that my children would do crazy things in public to just absolutely humiliate me. Well, Caroline has officially earned her first badge, thanks to her *adorable* new trick.


We now have a squealer on our hands. Steven must have let Caroline watch Dumb and Dumber, because Caroline has been doing her best to imitate Jim Carrey's "Most Annoying Sound in the World" (If you don't remember what I'm talking about, watch the youtube video below to jog your memory).


Almost overnight, Caroline went from being our sweet, quiet little girl to a loud, rambunctous... baby... I am now kicking myself for at one point almost bragging that we could pretty much go wherever we wanted with Caroline in tow, and most of the time people would never know she was even there. We never even thought twice about going out to eat because she was content to just hang out in her carseat and observe or play with a toy. Well, last week, she found her voice and started making these really shrill squealing noises. At first, I thought she was unhappy, but once I just took a step back, I saw that she was just talking to whatever toy she happened to be looking at or playing with at the time.


I didn't feel like cooking last Friday, so we just went to Pizza Hut (hey, give me a break... we're talking about Wichita Falls here). I spent most of the meal outside with her because she was being so loud. Yes, I know, it is a public place and it's not like Pizza Hut is a place that people really go for the atmosphere, but I am super paranoid and maybe a little too considerate of other people when it comes to my child. I didn't want to ruin other people's dinner, so I took Caroline outside to squeal her heart out. Steven and I kinda shrugged the incident off as just "one of those days". The next day, our friends invited us to go out to dinner so we went. On the way to the restaurant, we wondered if it would be a repeat of the previous night. Annndddd it was. And of course, we go to the one restaurant that did not have ANY music playing.. Not even elevator music. So, all the noise that my Sweet Caroline made seemed that much louder. I wanted to crawl under the table. And like I said, she wasn't unhappy, she was just talking to her toy... I don't know what the toy did wrong, but I would not have wanted to be on the receiving end of that squeal.


And of course, when I tried to video her, she just sat silently and looked at me. I tried several times, and I managed to get a little bit in the following video. Seriously though, doesn't she kind of sound like Jim Carrey???





As *adorable* as that noise is, I am happy to report that Caroline isn't practicing it as much any more. I know I am probably crazy, but I swear her "regular" voice sounds different now. It is a little lower and not as squeaky. So, maybe this was just a very short phase and she was just clearing out her lungs... Here's hoping :)

No comments:

Post a Comment