Tuesday, July 12, 2011

One year ago today....

I found out some news that would change my life forever. As most of my good friends can tell you, I have a weird talent for remembering the date of just about any random event, such as the day I got my braces off or when one of my friends went on her first date with her boyfriend (right Em?).

So, it is really no surprise that I remember that it was Monday, July 12, 2010 when I found out I was pregnant. I had a sneaking suspicion that I might be, but I still just about fainted when I saw that second pink line pop up. Steven was at work when I found out, and I absolutely could not wait to tell him. And of course, once again, if you know me, you know that I can't just go with the ol "Guess what... I'm pregnant! We're going to have a baby!". I immediately jumped into action. I ran out to the store and bought everything to make an awesome Chinese dinner. I made sweet and sour chicken and homemade eggrolls. Steven loves Chinese food, and I had never made him my Chinese food from scratch, so I figured this was the perfect occassion.

For dessert, I made homemade fortune cookies, complete with little fortunes inside. Since I didn't really know how to control what cookie Steven picked up and I didn't want him to suspect something, I just put the same fortune in all of the cookies.














(If you can't read that, it says "Diaper changes and sleepless nights are in your very near future... Congratulations!")



So, after slaving away on this special surprise all day, I was a little bummed when Steven came home in a bad mood. He had had a particularly rough day at work, and even an awesome Chinese dinner didn't lift his spirits much. But, we still sat down to dinner and tried to enjoy it as much as possible. I was about to squirm out of my seat the whole time we were eating because I just couldn't wait to dive into those fortune cookies.



Finally, after what seemed like three hours, we finally finished dinner and I grabbed the tray of fortune cookies. Now, one thing that Steven and I do NOT have in common is the fact that he is not really a big dessert person. Usually, when we go to eat Chinese food, he will open his fortune cookie, look at the fortune, and give me the cookie. So, he wasn't exactly thrilled when I brought the tray of cookies over to the table. After seeing the sad puppy look on my face after he intially declined, he finally gave in and took a cookie. I also took a cookie, opened it, and pretended to read my fortune (even though it was the same as his). *What happened next is what I will tease my dear husband about forever.*

Steven opened his fortune, stared at it for a minute, and with a smirk, tossed it aside and said "Gee, thanks Dallas." I was speechless.... Then it hit me... He didn't get the little "riddle".... So I asked him, "What did yours say?". He read it to me, and said "Thanks a lot. You're telling me that I'm old. I'm going to be wearing diapers soon." (Steven has grown a little sensitive about his age in the last few years) I just about lost it. I repeated the fortune, and at the end added, "I'm pregant.... Get it now???"




It is starting to sink in.......





Now he gets it!!!!!


(Keep in mind, he had no idea I was pregnant when he came home from work and changed. I about died when I saw him come downstairs in this shirt... Oh the irony)

After he finally got his fortune, he jumped up, grabbed me and shook me up and down so hard I was worried the baby might fall out.







Yup, three tests... We just wanted to be sure :)



Looking at Caroline today, it is so crazy to think that exactly a year ago, my journey as a human incubator was just beginning. I had no idea how awesome being a mom would be or how much work it is. I never could have imagined that one little person could make me so happy. Pregnancy was not fun, but it was so worth it to have my Sweet Caroline.







And here she is this morning... Crazy to think that one year ago, she was about the size of a grain of sand... Love that little face :)

1 comment:

  1. Then there was the time just a few weeks later when you suspiciously didn't order a margarita when we ate Mexican. Talk about a red flag! :)

    ReplyDelete