Tuesday, July 19, 2011

When Dogs Became Dogs

See these guys? These are our other children that you don't hear much about these days. The big guy on the left is Fred and the little guy on the right is Jack (ignore the looks of humiliation on their faces in this picture). Before we had Caroline, Jack and Fred were our children. We treated them like children, and we even talked about them like they were our children. As a result, I don't think that Jack and Fred got the memo that they are not people, but in fact dogs. In the days leading up to Caroline's debut, people would tell me that once we had the baby, we would hardly even pay attention to our dogs. I remember thinking "Yeah, well, we actually really love our dogs and we just will not allow that to happen." Steven and I schemed and planned how we would still include our boys and make them feel loved once Caroline came along. We were so concerned with their feelings and how to make the transition as smooth as possible for them.

Fast forward 4 months and here we are. As much as I hate to admit it, Jack and Fred have become dogs (don't tell them though-we're still trying to let them think they are sort of people). For about the first month, Steven and I worked tirelessly to make sure that all of our children felt loved and had plenty of attention. But as the days went by, it just became more and more exhausting to keep up with all three of them. I hate to say it, but a baby human trumps a dog, so Caroline's needs come before theirs. And these days, she is quite needy.




I really can't complain because the boys have done SO well with Caroline and they genuinely do love her. I feel terrible because there are days that I don't say anything to them except "Go away" or "No". Their behavior really hasn't changed and they are still up to the same shannigans that they always pulled, but these days it just annoys me more than ever. I have my hands full with Caroline, and with Jack and Fred, it is like I am staying home with 3 kids all day long. And when one of those kids can't go outside without jumping in the pool or eats almost an entire chicken off the counter that you prepared for dinner (I'll give you 2 guesses as to whom I am talking about and the first one doesn't count... Hint: He is big and brown), it makes for a very long day.


Now that Caroline is a little more predictable, I am trying to get back to showing my boys some love and attention. Please don't think that these dogs are being abused and totally neglected because I can guarantee you that they still live better lives than 80% of dogs out there. That's just it though: they're now treated like dogs. I think things will be better once Caroline gets older and interacts with them more. She is becoming more and more interested in them and has started reaching for them, so I know that they will absolutely love any and all attention from her. It has been a transition for all of us, but I think Jack and Fred have had to endure the most change.



Even though she has taken the spotlight, Jack still loves his Caroline



Fred tries to get as close to her as I will let him. I know he is anxiously awaiting the day that he can roll around on the floor with her.



This is what happened when I left Fred in charge while I went to the bathroom. I came out, and there he was, just waiting for her to throw his duck. At least he is willing to share his toys :)


Our family is feeling a little growing pains, but I know we will get through it and our boys will be happier than ever to have Sweet Caroline to play with and love on.



No comments:

Post a Comment